Our Steel Frame Design will accomodate a wide assortment of materials, including reclaimed cedar wood, natural stone, different types of metals and many other posibilities. Our most popular planters are made from 100% reclaimed old growth cedar.
All of our planters are lined with a fish safe 4ml pond liner to protect the plater materials from corrosion and rot.
We have also designed a reservoir watering system that is adaptable to any size planter that we build. The System is completely maintenance free – no hoses, moving parts. Just fill it up approx. once every seven days or so and leave the rest to nature’s soil ability to absorb water.
The sides and boots are also able to be insulated to patent the roots from being shocked from extreme temperatures.
Not only is this container garden movable but with the materials that are chosen and the quality of the build, it should last more than 50 years. The reclaimed wood we are using came from trees which might have been 1000 years old. Imagine the energy and information stored within it. To be able to assist in using the life of these trees to nurture new life completes a beautiful life circle.
Click on any picture below to go to the individual product page and select the planter model which meets your unique needs.
- Old growth lumber is very very strong and durable, lasts at least 10 times longer than new growth
- It doesn’t splinter and the grain doesn’t lift and peel if not oiled constantly
- It is beautiful when planed and sanded
- We don’t need to cut lumber anymore when there are mountains of wood being thrown away daily
- The reclaimed wood we are using came from trees which might have been 1000 years old.
Imagine the energy and information stored within it. To be able to assist in using the life of these trees to nurture new life completes a beautiful life circle. All of the material used in the making of any planter boxes I produce are made of 100% reclaimed material. Why? Other than the obvious, saving the planet and saving our natural resources, I firmly believe that we, as the world, need to stop our culture of throwing away what we no longer see as useful. Re-use and recycle is not just a saying, it should be a way of existence.
- Completely constructed of 100% reclaimed old growth cedar and redwood (rot resitant superior product that will last for years, made in the USA)
- Locate the boxes anywhere, your porch, balcony, backyard, frontyard, use standard planters or have them custom built to the space you need them for
- Easy to move around with our designed wheel system (optional)
- Centuries old proven method of construction (corners are lapped like a log cabin)
- Biologically sound (no chemically processed wood, proper size and depth for plants specifics)
- Watering is easy and 20 % more efficient (handwater or choose an optional built in irrigation system)
- Very little weeding because you can start with your choice of an ideal weed free soil mix
- Bottom of container also never touches the ground and does not allow weeds to grow into your beds
- Optional critter screen tops to protect your plants
- Organic Gardening at home offers nutritional and cost benefits
- Ergonomic Design (top soil at comfortable height, walk around your garden and reach the middle easily)
- Optional benches (see below) turn your planter into a piece of furniture
- Raised bed gardening produces 5 times the harvest of a conventional garden
For a typical Planter (4′ by 4′, 10” deep.) you would need 12 8 foot 2×4’s. Approximately $83.64. For the bottom add another $10,-, sitting bench, $48,-, nails and or screws are another $6,-, and then 1 pallet, $20,-. That equals around $167,-, not including taxes. This doesn’t take into account the time and effort to acquire the raw materials. That also does not include the use of reclaimed material. These are typical home improvement prices. And if you have been to one recently you know the quality of the lumber is shoddy.
Now it’s time to get out your table saw, planer, drill, etc, and get all of the materials arranged. I am lucky enough to have a great shop with a great array of tools, and have decades of experience. Now let’s assume you are a better than average do-it-yourself handyman. Construction could well be 5+ hours, depending on what kind of work space, skill level etc. Let’s see what we have: A day of driving around and getting materials, laying out, cutting, screwing, and finish work. Let’s assume your time is worth $15 an hour. At approx. 8+ hours, that’s $120,-, plus $167,- for materials, and the rough cost of doing it yourself comes to around 287,-.
I don’t discourage people from building their own things, I actually encourage it. How ever you can see that my planters will save you time and money, and in the end you will end up with a superior product that will last for years. And at the same time you can take solace that these planters are made of 100% reclaimed material.